Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Our task at hand

The other day I was wandering around the SLO Farmer's Market, and I stumbled across something that made me think a bit deeper. As I walked down the street, in between two of my friends, we discovered a band playing near by. We decided that it would be a fun idea to sit on the side walk, eat our dinner, and listen to the band. While we watched, I noticed a small group of very young children dancing in front of the band. In particular there was a brother and sister, probably not more than a year and a half apart in age, that were chasing each other in circles. They did not have a care in the world, no stress on their shoulders, no student fees to worry about, and no homework to get done before an 8am class in the morning. I got to thinking what a lovely life style young children have. I remember being deathly afraid of coming to college. I had so much to worry about, or so I thought. I am in my third quarter of college, the last quarter of my first year here. It seems like move in day was yesterday, but at the same time I have grown so much.
This recollection of my time spent at the farmer's market really describes more about me as a person. I am reflective and I am aware. This leads me to a situation that occurred yesterday while I was sitting in my dorm room. As a National Beef Ambassador it is my job to communicate about our industry. I do this through blogging, Twitter, and Facebook. However, yesterday I was in an especially informative mood. I get Google alerts sent to my email about beef. I decided to open an article, and discovered that it was a negative article from USA Today regarding government regulations in the beef industry. I read the article, posted a positive comment correcting the myths in the article, and went about my day. About an hour later I checked back on the article and found that someone had directly commented in response to my comment. They seemed very upset that I was so positive and pointed out my bias toward agriculture. They also suggested a book for me to read and I suggested a website. I went to Amazon and ordered the book right then!
Agriculture Communicators must listen to others. It is important to understand the point of view other than your own. We must stand solid to our part in inspiring others about agriculture and the benefits of agriculture!
Go team!

0 comments:

Post a Comment