Thursday, February 3, 2011

There is No "I" in Beef!

Good afternoon!

Some of you may be later in the afternoon than I am, as I am very familiar with time zones these days, but nonetheless I'd like to thank you for reading my blog!

I was just recently in Colorado for the National Beef Speakers Bureau training. This is a brand new program designed to help spread the truthful message about animal welfare in the beef industry. Nineteen of my fellow American National CattleWomen and I gathered in Denver for three days this past weekend and worked together on our speaking and presentation skills. I used up all of the sheets of paper in my notebook that I brought taking notes, jotting ideas down, and thinking of ways to help spread our message. The teamwork among the group was commendable, which led me to think that there really is no "I" in beef.

There we were, all gathered in the middle of the United States, one mile high, and most of us were away from home, or the ranch, for that matter. If we were there, and our cattle, horses, ranch dogs, and house-hold pets were home, then we certainly weren't taking care of them firsthand. This led to the conclusion that husbands, family friends, mothers, fathers, siblings, or significant others were taking care of our animals, and most of them with no questions asked. However, something that did catch my attention was the communication between the homestead and the CattleWomen at the training. Weather reports were given over text messages, animal updates were shared via brief phone calls on breaks. Yet that wasn't even half of the whole. Many of the CattleWomen were calling to check on their animals even if an update phone call had already been made. Seeing this made me conclude that CattleWomen care. Hands down. Hooves down. Paws down. Claws down. CattleWomen care.

All of this really brought our message home to me: that no matter what, rain, shine, sleet, snow, or travel our animals are well taken care of. They are put into the hands of someone we know and trust, and we work our hardest to ensure that our animals are safe while we are gone, and while we are home. To me this is a beautiful thing. This might be why the CattleWomen are my favorite group of ladies in the whole entire world.

I am honored and proud to be an American National CattleWomen!Please look forward to my blogs this week and into the weekend celebrating I Heart Beef Month, as well as my travels to the JBS/Five Rivers feedlot and headquarters, and the stories that I have been able to share since then!

Thank you very much for reading! Remember, there is no "I" in beef, but that doesn't mean that YOU can't love beef just the same!

Sin-steer-ly,
Malorie

0 comments:

Post a Comment