Friday, April 1, 2011

Where's the # sign @?

Greetings!

I was born in 1991. I can remember when my mom left me with my dad to take a computer class when I was less than 2 years old. The outcome to that night was me putting my diaper on by myself--backwards! However, I remember my mom being overwhelmed with information when she returned from the class. We bought our first home computer in 2000. When I was a Sophomore in high school (2006) I was gifted my first lap top for Christmas. Now that I am a Sophomore in college I just recently purchased a new lap top (because the old one died a tragic death), and my mom still has that computer from 2000. Time for an upgrade? In this day and age the answer most undoubtedly is, "Yes".

People all over the world are a finger's reach away from their electronics. iPhones, iPods, bluetooths, Blackberry's, Smart Phones, MP3 players, iPads, lap tops, computers, and anything wireless that could possible make your day a bit easier. People have known to become "plugged in" to their electronic devices. The miracle of it all is that all these things even have the option of connecting with each other. Personally, I'm waiting for the day when a gazillion dollar company comes out with an iEverything: the one stop machine for everything electronic that you could ever need...in the form of a contact lense so all you have to do is think what you want it to do and it will.

Another great question to ask yourself is, "When is it all too much?" Will there come a day when we go back into the "cavemen stage" where we start dragging our knuckles back on the ground, get a little hair on our chests, and have no clue what a tweet or a twibbon or a hashtag is? My guess is, "NO." Technology is advancing so fast in today's era that pretty soon, we won't need humans to do anything. Then we will realize, "What was the point of all the 'smart' electronics?" They all have just seemed to make us appear dumb or less educated.Yet, this is where I begin to jab my foot in my mouth and make my exit stage left. Not only is "this" (social media and agvocating) what I want to do with my life, but I find it very fun and intriguing! So please take note that I have said everything I have above to make a point. I fully believe that knowledge is power and that technological advancements, as well as social media, have made a strong and powerful impact in many people's lives. However, (drum roll please) my point is this: Technology has advanced in such a way that has made our lives easier to live. They help us organize our lives and share stories with more people than we can ever imagine. This is where the importance of social media comes into play with agriculture.

Whether it is Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Blogs, Yammer, LinkedIn, etc, there are many consumers to contact with our stories in agriculture. Even if it is a small experience you have had or a synopsis of your farm or ranch, our industry needs to be transparent. Let consumers in, tell them the facts, and don't let anti-animal ag groups like HSUS ruin what advancements we have in agriculture.


If you need help learning about these great tools that have evolved since the '90s and the past, then don't be afraid to reach out and ask! If you have a specific question that I may be able to answer, please leave a comment below, and I will be glad to help!

So, where's the # sign @? No matter what your experience with technology and social media may be, with a little practice, your experience will be perfect!

Sin-steer-ly,
Malorie

0 comments:

Post a Comment