Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mother Nature's Perspective

Good afternoon!

It is a beautiful day in San Luis Obispo, CA reaching upwards of 80 degrees in some places here today. I have already been to lunch, on a very lovely drive, and to a short visit to Avila Beach. Now I sit here in my apartment alone, which has me thinking: I'm usually the one that leaves others "home alone". For the past year I have been out of state usually once or twice a month on a Beef Ambassador trip. Unfortunately, those are no longer. As I look back on my year as a National Beef Ambassador, I have realized something over the past week or so. I only get to live MY life once, so why not do the impossible, accomplish the unthinkable, or conquer the unstoppable? My new philosophy in life is to do what I want, because I want to, and because it will make me a better person.

I sure do miss the leadership camps and conferences I attended throughout middle school and high school, but I've been thinking...why can't my life be a leadership conference? I mean every once in a while I try to do something that I wouldn't normally do, and I find myself grateful for the experience. Then I reflect on my participation and do something else. That, to me, seems like a leadership experience in a nutshell; I'm leading my life.

Throughout the past couple of weeks back at college I have found many things to inspire me. I have climbed two mountains, walked on a 7 mile trail, and taken a 40 minute drive through a beautiful rural area all in the town I live in. Why did it take me a year and a half to realize what I could have been soaking up this whole time?! I could be kicking myself for missing the opportunities that I have been hiding myself from, or I can embrace them and discover something new each week that makes me happy here. Today, I felt like I was on top of the world. From one point on my drive I could see what seemed like everything: flat land, hills, trees, sandy beaches, the ocean, and even what I love most in life...cows! The dreaming me would love to live in some mansion of a house I spotted while climbing the hills of San Luis Obispo, but alas, living anywhere here is like living in paradise.

I was confronted by a long time friend of mine today about where I see myself ending up in life. She made the venture herself to guess not in California. During the past few months I would have to say my very own conclusion on that matter is to agree with her. I love where I was born and raised, and where I live now, but there is so much more out there that I need to discover, I'm just going to go with the flow. Where ever life takes me, I will make the most out of it. I live to learn, explore, and cherish what Mother Nature has given me in this lovely life I lead.

Moooooving ahead,
Malorie

0 comments:

Post a Comment